Breastfeeding with Bianca Chung

I understand all too well that it can be overwhelming, especially in the first few months. My answer depends on where you are in your breastfeeding journey. If this is early days, it is important in the early days to follow your baby’s lead. However over time you’ll notice a natural routine emerging as you get to know your baby better. You will intuitively start to understand their typical feeding patterns, such as recognising when they may not need to feed for another hour or a time of day when they prefer more frequent feeds. During consults with new moms I teach baby’s cues, helping you to become attune to their signals and fostering your ability to follow their lead. And as mentioned as time goes on, you will grow increasingly confident in understanding your baby’s needs and there will naturally emerge some kind of routine to it. During this time when feedings feel all-encompassing, speak to your support team (your partner, your mother) and together plan ways for you to get some time for self-care and a bit of a breather to have a relaxing bath, an hour to watch Netflix, or however else you wish to spend your time. However, if you do think your baby is feeding more than you would expect, I would recommend booking a consult with a lactation professional. This would be in particular to check if adequate milk transfer is happening.

Gradually reducing the number of breastfeeding or pumping sessions is the key to stopping milk production. Consulting with a lactation professional can provide guidance on how to safely achieve this. Specific advice would depend on several factors such as your current breastfeeding routine, how quickly you are trying to stop and how robust your milk supply is. Trying to stop your milk supply too quickly can lead to complications such as clogged ducts, mastitis and abscess formation. A fun fact is that some women may continue to notice small amounts of milk even years after they have stopped breastfeeding. This residual milk is a natural occurrence and is not usually a cause for concern.

It is not uncommon to experience lingering feelings of guilt even long after concluding your breastfeeding journey. I’ve been there - I provided my daughter with breastmilk for 16 months and I too occasionally feel guilt even one year after stopping. First, begin by recognising and celebrating your breastfeeding achievements. Some mothers commemorate their journey with a breastmilk ring (that is, a ring made using your breastmilk). I personally did a ring to celebrate my breastfeeding journey. Another way is a special cake - it’s a personal and meaningful way to honour your efforts. Second, shift your focus to the present and explore the many ways to provide your baby with optimal nutrition. Introducing healthy solids that support their brain development and overall health is a fantastic way. I am passionate about helping mothers with this aspect and can offer guidance and support on introducing healthy solids. However, if you ended your breastfeeding journey sooner than you wished and now desire to re-lactate, know that it is a viable option. Lactation professionals are well-equipped to assist you with this, providing you with a care plan to help you achieve your breastfeeding goals.

Why does my baby keep fussing while feeding?

A balanced diet is crucial for breastfeeding moms. While specific advice may vary a general guideline is to aim for a balanced intake of 5 servings of fruits, 5 servings of vegetables, 5 servings of grains, 2 servings of protein and 3 servings of dairy (or dairy alternatives) per day. A ‘serving’ is roughly equivalent to what you can hold in your hand. It isn’t necessary to meticulously measure servings, but this guideline offers a helpful sense of where to focus your efforts (i.e. get those fruits and veggies on your plate).

1 Like

Addressing sore nipples depends on the underlying cause. It could be related to for example an improper latch, using the wrong pump flange size or breast/nipple concerns (such as blebs). Consulting with a lactation professional can help identify the cause and provide effective solutions. In the meantime, applying your own breastmilk to sore nipples with clean, dry hands can offer temporary relief. Breastmilk contains natural healing properties and can help soothe discomfort. However, this is not a long-term solution and should be combined with addressing the root cause of the soreness.

1 Like

Pain from your baby’s emerging teeth can have various causes. If your baby starts biting during breastfeeding, it is important to handle the situation calmly: let them know that the feed is ending by gently removing them from the breast. This approach helps teach them about appropriate breastfeeding behaviour and avoids any potential discomfort for you. Some moms experience pain when their babies are teething due to changes in their baby’s saliva; rinsing your breast after feeds can help with this.

1 Like

If you have an oversupply of milk, a lactation professional can help you to gradually reduce it to a more manageable level. Keep in mind that milk supply often regulates around 12 weeks into breastfeeding, so if you are in that window be cautious not to inadvertently decrease your supply too much. Also know that (unfortunately) leaking milk isn’t an indicator of ‘too much milk’. It is an indicator that you are having a ‘letdown’ of milk and does not necessarily mean that you are so full that you are leaking. A lactation professional can assess your specific situation and provide tailored advice.

1 Like

I am 11 month postpartum and still only breastfeeding with the exception of my son eating baby food like normal but no formula. So is it normal to have chest discomfort like a weight not horrible but on and off as well as the heaviness mostly just below breast at the top of belly. is it normal to be feel weakness on and off.

1 Like

Hi Melissa! It’s Bianca here from Raising Good Eaters. Firstly, congratulations on your 11-month breastfeeding journey! It’s wonderful to hear about your commitment to breastfeeding.

Regarding your symptoms of chest discomfort and occasional weakness, while breastfeeding can sometimes cause mild discomfort due to factors like engorgement, clogged ducts, or changes in feeding patterns, the symptoms you’re describing seem to be more general and not solely related to breastfeeding.

The feeling of heaviness just below the breast at the top of the belly could be due to a number of reasons, ranging from muscular strain to digestive issues. Weakness can also be attributed to a variety of factors, including the physical demands of motherhood, changes in diet, or even lack of sleep.

However, it’s crucial to consult with a healthcare provider to rule out any medical concerns. They can offer a proper examination and possibly suggest tests to determine the cause of your discomfort and weakness. It’s always better to get a professional opinion, especially when new or persistent symptoms appear.

In the meantime, ensure you’re taking care of yourself as well – adequate rest, nutrition, and hydration are key. Sometimes, the demands of caring for a baby can take a toll on your body, so it’s important to pay attention to your own health needs.

Remember, reaching out to a healthcare professional is the best course of action. Take care and wishing you the best in your continued breastfeeding journey!

2 Likes