You are what you eat with Kezia Philip

Join us for this live Q&A with our resident nutrition and wellness expert, Kezia Philip on September 6th from 1-2pm

2 Likes

The first question in from our socials is what is how to count calories and why it’s important for weight loss

The second question is how do i ensure my disabled daughter is eating right?

Advice on how to make nutritious meals on a budget

How to get deal with picky eaters!

Quick, nutritious meals for kids

Healthy breakfast ideas for adults and teens

Quick and healthy breakfasts

Best meat and veg for weight loss?

Food and healthy snacks for a diabetic mom

1 Like

Can i get some general advice on herbal supplements?

Excellent question! The first important point to note is that the calorie requirements for each person is unique and its based on sex, age, weight and level of physical activity. If you eat more than your body requires for your daily activities inclusive of exercise, you would gain weight. As such, counting calories to ensure you have the right amount can help you lose weight. You would need to know how much of the different foods you are consuming to calculate the calories and there are many apps that can assist, or you can visit a RD to get a meal plan and educate you on calories and portion sizes. I hope this information was helpful.

1 Like

You will definitely need to have a nutrition assessment conducted on your daughter by a dietitian to be be able to determine if your daughter has an adequate diet.

Firstly, it is important to note that a healthy diet requires healthy food preparation that is low in fat, sodium and sugar, and healthy food choices: fibre rich staples, quality protein foods - eggs, lean meat, chicken, fish, and having raw or cooked vegetables with main meals, as well as healthy snacks - fruits, seeds and nuts.
Once you are choosing healthy foods you can follow these tips on nutritious meals on a budget:

1. Plan recipes in advanced and shop with a list
  2. Shop when there are sales and choose off or store brand products
  3. Buy fruits and vegetables that are in season
  4. Buy in bulk e.g. dried peas and beans
  5. Try growing a kitchen garden

My 14 year old boys weight has really increased in the last 2 years, I am not sure it it’s dietary or glandular. How would I know?

1 Like

There are several ways to get picky eaters to eat healthy. Check out my article for tips Getting Picky Eaters to Eat Healthy Foods.

Healthy meal options depend on age and meal preference of the child. However, you can consider the following:
Pizza bread – toasted whole wheat/grain bread or wrap topped with cheese and veggies
Spaghetti and minced chicken – boiled spaghetti with minced chicken that contains blended veggies such as carrots, tomatoes, sweet pepper, onions and garlic.
Snacks – plain yogurt with crush pineapple, apple slices with peanut butter
Visit this YouTube channel for quick healthy snacks ideas. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO04XnPtbcs

Hot or cold cereal - Overnight oats or oatmeal with fresh/dried fruit and seeds/nuts (use any unsweetened milk of choice and there is no need for added sugar as the fruit will provide that sweet taste)
Sandwiches – whole wheat/grain bread or wrap and protein food such as cheese, turkey breast, chicken, fish, eggs, tuna/sardine canned in water with vegetables such as lettuce, cucumber and/or tomatoes.

Kezia says:
If the child has a healthy diet and is engaged in regular physical activity, such as a sport, then it could be glandular. However, a medical check with a doctor is recommended to confirm if the weight gain is due to lifestyle or a medical condition.

Hot or cold cereal - Overnight oats or oatmeal with fresh/dried fruit and seeds/nuts (use any unsweetened milk of choice and there is no need for added sugar as the fruit will provide that sweet taste)
Sandwiches – whole wheat/grain bread or wrap and protein food such as cheese, turkey breast, chicken, fish, eggs, tuna/sardine canned in water with vegetables such as lettuce, cucumber and/or tomatoes.