Share your recycling tips to be in with a chance of winning prizes

Caribbean Moms and Recycling Partners of Jamaica have lots of fantastic hampers worth $7500 JMD each to give away.

To be in with a chance of winning, simply comment below with your best tips for recycling at home.

6 Likes

We use bottles of Wata most days for school lunches and I always have one in my handbag, we try to fill up the trashcan in the yard with the bottles, and at the end of each month we bring them to the Total Service Station on Red Hills Road

3 Likes

Buy new rubbish bins for every room you have a rubbish bin in and educate the children as to what goes in them

4 Likes

My tips on recycling is that for our homes we label our bins for plastics different from other trash. And it’s good for us to tech our children from early that it’s important to recycle our plastic items and not dispose of them inappropriately and the consequences that happens to us and our environment when we choose to dispose of our trash the wrong way.

3 Likes

In my home we have reduced the usage of plastic drastically we have replaced single use plastic bottles with multiuse bottles. We also make use of our backyard by having a compost heap where we throw our scraps, this helps to enrich the soil which we use when its ready to give nutrients to our vegetable gardens.

3 Likes

At home we separate the plastic from the other garbages and recycle the plastics,we sometime uses the plastic for plants and flowers planting

3 Likes

My input on recycling is that it has been around for many years and it has always been important without us not even realizing. I personally recyle in my home, i ensure that the containers that i recyle are properly washed and dried before i use them.

3 Likes

In the home there can be separate bins labeled with not only the words but pictures of the examples for recyclables, trash and compost.
Recyclables should be free of liquid and food, it’s also good to have on the caps on the bottles when recycling and cardboard boxes should be folded before recycling.
Plastic bottles can be used in the garden to plant seedlings in them and the compostable food can also be used in the garden which can be used as a fertilizer. Instead of throwing away newspaper it can also be used as a cleaning aid for windows.

3 Likes

When I shop for grocery items at our local supermarket, I aim at purchasing packages that have biodegradable on them. The most recent item added was the Colgate Toothpaste packaging. :+1:
Continue purchasing environmentally friendly items and watch the change #Recycle

3 Likes

My best recycling tips are for the women who live in large homes (or with more family). There are alot of garbage that goes around from the bottles that your juices come in to the brown paper bags we get at stores. Here is what I do:

1. Always walk with a shopping bag in your had bag to minimise the paper bag intake on the household.
  2. Have a separate garbage bag for plastic bottles so that you can recycle them easier.
  3. Big water bottles can be reused so don’t throw them away, fill up and use again.
  4. Disposable food boxes can be washed and reused to carry your lunch or used to give away food if you have a person who you give food to.
    Always remember to check if the kids throw any plastic in the house or out in the yard.
3 Likes

As a mom with toddler whenever we buy plastic bottle products like water and we consume it on the road, I am always looking for recycle bins to throw them in. We may not always find on available so I carry the bottle home and make art and craft with it for my toddler. Sometimes a shaker or paint it

3 Likes

My recycling tip is using the bottles from juices to store water for drinking. I reuse the formula tin for usage of milk powders. @shelli___esha

3 Likes

We use plastic bottles, cartons boxes tissue/paper towel rolls etc to make fun activities for my 1 year old. They keep him engage for quite some time

3 Likes

My recycling tips: encouraged my coworkers to bring their plastic bottles to work and we placed a bag in a safe are for collection on a daily. I collect bottles in my community that are discarded on the roadway, construction sites and a popular ballfield in my parish. I even ask my neighbors to save their plastic for me. Doing these random pickups have encouraged a few members from my community to save some of their bottles for me(the others are used to store water). I crush and save as much plastics from trips and my children have a new found appreciation from us doing recycling. Once drop off is made after crushing and packing we reuse the plastic bags. Ive used plastic bottles and caps to make a robot and other gift items for friends. Its safe to say i re/upcycle my plastic. I also follow the recycling partners page to keep uptodate with information as it relates to recycling. I am now more conscious of the types of plastic as i check everything even the toothpaste tubes. @RecyclingMoms

3 Likes

Currently my Environmental Club students and I are a part of a plastic recycling initiative that’s put on by a student who majors in Environmental Studies at the Community College. We are working towards educating the general school population and parents on the effects of improper dumping of plastic and the harmful effects it has on the environment and also show them some everyday products that we use that’s made from or contains some amount of plastic. Hence, we have posters posted around the campus highlighting these.

We also recycle naturally grown foods( ground provisions) in the form of a compost heap to make fertilizer for crops.

Students and parents are given the chance to get creative and make recycled art using waste products.

Recycling is good for the environment, helps to reduce waste and it helps in job creation.

2 Likes

As a recycling mom-

*I show and teach my children how to separate their garbage- plastic vs trash etc. Ensuring that all contents are removed from plastic containers.

*We always bring our own reusable cups and food containers anywhere to minimize the use of plastics.

*I ensure we have our reusable shopping bags when going shopping (in general)

*Upcycle old newspaper/clothes/plastic bottles to create art and other craft ideas- I live in a house full of creatives.

*I also joined the Recycling Partners of Jamaica to assist in combating the recycling/plastic bottle issue while promoting healthier sustainable living in my community.

*I get my children involved in local cleanup initiatives including the ones I host such as beach and environmental cleanups- we collect tons of plastic bottles whenever we do a cleanup activity.

*We discard food scraps in our garden which enhances the quality of the soil for our plants.

*I follow the @recyclingja page to keep up-to-date with the best recycling practices in our homes #reduce #reuse #recycle @recylingmoms

2 Likes

We separate our plastics from all other garbage and ensure that the plastics are empty and rinsed if needs be.

Empty baby cereal tind are used to discard things like oil and other undesirable liquids.

Paper bags are used to wrap any food scraps before disposal.

2 Likes

I provide labeled bins in the home so as to separate the waste… educate the family about the importance of recycling, and make sure bottles, boxes, etc are drained of all their contents .,however, I use water bottles and tins to plant flowers, glass jars I use to store seasonings, etc, also use cardboard to make school projects for my child, and the excess glass, plastic, bottles, and tins are taken to the recycling plant.

1 Like

I recycle by using my 5 gallon water bottles to plant flowers and vegetables into them I also use 5 gallon cooking oil bottles to composed peelings from the kitchen and grass cutting from the yard I used reusable bags to go to the supermarket and market I used reusable bottles for drinking water and juice to take to work

1 Like