Share your recycling tips to be in with a chance of winning prizes

My recycling tips are; 1. I remove all food and liquid from the containers 2. I get my children involved,i ask them to return their water bottles and juice bottles when they go to school.

1 Like

I have a compost heap, Wata bottles are reused to store water in the event of a water lockoff. Wata bottles are also used to save spare change and used to plant flowers and vegetables

1 Like

My recycling tip is, for containers that arenā€™t being reused for food storage, we store them in a large bag for collection by the recycling team. Others get used as short term flower pots. When on the road, I look for bins if none is found in close proximity I take them home to my plastic pile.

1 Like

My recycling tips are when we buy plastic bottle juice we use the empty container to storage the natural juice that we make with the bigger bottle my daughter loves to plant so I will cut the top off and give to plant her pepper tomatoes sometimes she will get corn from her grandmother and want to plant them and the banana skins and whatever compose we have I let her use it to fertilize her plant because she saw it on pepper pig whatever container we buy with other stuff we relabel them and store different things instead of throwing it away

1 Like

The recycling that me and my family do is to remove the corks from empty bottles so they deteriorate faster then seperate in different bins. I also use reusable bottles and plates and eat fast foods less that comes in plastic.

1 Like

In my household, When doing take out we dont take the take out utensils we have our reuseable cutlery, water we full up our bottles from the 5 gallon waters that we refill. Also we reuse and repurpose glass bottles for juices, shower gels diswashing liquid. Glass jars are great for homemade sauces and left overs especially for escovitch sauce :). Egg shells and peels are put in our gardens. Even broken or chipped plates and cups make cute flower pots.

1 Like

How i recycle at home is i label bins for dufferent things so we can sell back the bottles to the bottle companies. We have a bin outsude that we put ground provisions waste into it with leaves and dirt to make compost to put around our vegetable and fruit trees

1 Like

ā€œReduceā€ before you ā€œRecycleā€ - Focus on reducing your consumption of single-use items and waste generation in the first place. This can be achieved by choosing reusable items, buying in bulk, and avoiding unnecessary packaging.

By reducing the amount of waste you generate, you can decrease the amount of energy and resources needed to recycle or dispose of it properly. This not only helps the environment, but it can also help you win a recycling competition by demonstrating a more comprehensive approach to waste reduction.

1 Like

Let me tell unnu something! I was not in the most financially stable place with my first born and recycling was my friend.

Those formula/cereal bottles esp the PLASTIC ones (like Baby Yum or the large enfamil) ones are so versatile. I use them for salt and sugar bonus points because they came with the little scoop.

Hereā€™s hack number 2 the little glass baby food jars save them, remove the label and wash with hot water. In the weaning stage whenever you have left over baby size servings of soup, fruit etc. just store them in that in the fridge. THEY ARE MICROWAVABLE! (when the lids are off)

Oh bonus: The lid [bottle top] on most sturdy baby bottles have measuring marks on them (similar to a medicine cup) save them in the kitchen for any measuring purpose even after the bottle is long gone.

Hope these help somebody. xoxo
Follow me on IG (@reggae_and_fashion)

1 Like

I practice the 3Rs Reduce , reUsed and Recycle. How I recycle at home I save plastic bottles then store them ,then I use them to make seat,or use it to make pots for flowers, I use plastic and punch holes in cover as spray nozzle for watering flowers.

1 Like

This Recyling tip is one that can be adopted by any family , As a family of 5 who knows the importance of drinking water , we purchase drinking water in large 5 galloncontainers and then fill our individual stainless steel water bottles. The containers are either refilled or used for water storage as water lock off is an issue at times

1 Like

My husband would say Iā€™m a hoarder of recycled products. I often reuse the Prego mason jars and decorate them. We use them to store products that were bought in plastic bags like sugar, coconut milk, powdered seasonings etc. Last year we actually used them to make beautiful, rustic centre pieces for our wedding. We even use them to store excess oil after making festivals or for honey from my mother-in-laws bee farm. I also use them as storage/holders for my pens, markers and scissors when Iā€™m crafting.

Lets talk about those empty cereal boxes. I usually cut the bottoms off, add some coloured adhesive paper and use them as drawer dividers for my kids underwear drawers. This helps to keep their drawers neat and organized. We also reuse sturdy perfume boxes as organizers for our personal care products on our dresser as well as in the bathroom.

Those Shein bags that we get from a shopping haul, we use those too! The kids use them to carry their clothes for extra curricular activities at school, store their shoes or dirty clothes when packing an overnight bag and for carrying wet clothes when we go out swimming. I use them to store my slippers too, to keep dust away and for storing my resin molds. #reduce, reuse, recycle

1 Like

Let me share what I do and would like others to do the same. I am a decortor so I utilize what persons consider as trash and transform them into treasure.
For some of the plastic bottles I use them to catch my flowers until I am able to transplant them, The larger bottles I actually stored in in a recycle bag that I got from recycling company And whenever the recycling company comes around they pick them up. I also decorate some of the bottles especially the curvy ones And use them as vases in my home and I also uses them for small projects. I normally hoard the toilet tissue rolls to make fake candles as well , there are so many things that we can recycle in the home and make a Difference for our country

1 Like

Hi everyone.

Here are a few of my recycling tips that can be easily integrated in the home, and that I try to practise. Reduce Reuse Recycle:

1. Separate garbage
    This includes perishable items, plastic and glass. Perishable/organic waste such as the peels from fruits and vegetables can be used as a compose for out door plants.

2. Glass bottles such alcohol beverages or even malt drinks such as Malta, these glass bottles can be collected and returned to the manufacturer where you are given 30jmd per bottle returned.

3. Limit plastic bottle waste. Use a 5 gallon water bottle with an electric water pump which is quite affordable instead of having multiple small water bottles to dispose of. The large bottle can then be refilled weekly at the water store.

4.Use a reusable bottle for juices and water to eliminate plastic waste, especially when travelling. In the event thereā€™s no garbage bin around there will be no need to be walking around with an empty plastic bottle which are often thrown in gullies and on the road.

1. Travel with reusable shopping bags at all times when going on the road. These can be folded quite easily. We often say we wonā€™t stop and buy anything but then we do. This leads us to having to take up a cardboard box or buy another bag from the supermarket making our homes over crowded with shopping bags and spending more money.

2. To reduce food waste, left over boiled food can be reused such as pumpkin, banana, yams and potatoes can be frozen and pureed/mashed for moms with babies transitioning from milk to eating food.

3. For items purchased online that often comes in a plastic bags. Some of them are reusable with zips which can store wet items such as toiletries and rags when going on a trips or shoes when travelling. These said bags can also used to put some amount of garbage and tied for disposal as well, rather than the bags being wasted.

4. For the Febreze spray bottles, instead of throwing them out when they are finished. I often refill them with water and detergents and use them as a cleaning solution that can be easily sprayed when wiping counters, walls or even the floor.

1 Like

Reuse plastic bottles to store water, hold plants, create toys, household decor and for crafting.

Repurpose cardboard boxes for household decor, toys, learning materials, storage

Donate clothes and household items we no longer use
Donate books or reuse for long lasting projects.

Encourage children to use proper garbage disposal methods, drop off recyclables,

1 Like

REDUCE,REUSE AND THEN RECYCLE :recycle: in my home recycle everything except for credit card :credit_card: :joy: give your recycling bin the sniff test :nose: I kept things loose and I empty and dry everything , donā€™t be a wish-cycler, finally recycling save money :moneybag:

1 Like
  1. Use glass jars as storage containers: Instead of throwing away glass jars, clean them out and use them as storage containers for food or other household items. Theyā€™re great for storing things like nuts, seeds, and dried fruits.

2. Donate old clothes and toys: Instead of throwing away old clothes and toys, donate them to a local charity or thrift store. This is a great way to reduce waste and help those in need.

3. Use reusable bags and containers: Instead of using disposable plastic bags and containers, invest in reusable ones that can be used over and over again. Not only will this reduce waste, but it will also save you money in the long run.

4. Use a reusable water bottle: Instead of buying bottled water, use a reusable water bottle. This will not only reduce waste, but it will also save you money and help keep you hydrated throughout the day.

5. Make your own compost: Start a compost pile in your backyard or use a compost bin to turn your food scraps and yard waste into nutrient-rich soil. You can use this soil in your garden or to nourish your houseplants.

6. Turn trash into treasure: Encourage your child or children to use their creativity by turning old boxes, cans, and bottles into new toys, decorations, or organizers.

Remember:

Donā€™t trash it - Reduce it! Canā€™t reduce it? Reuse it! Canā€™t reuse it? Recycle it! Letā€™s save the planet together!

1 Like

Respecting the earth just as much i respect people
my family came up with separation method O.R.R . Organized Recycled Reused.
Before we place out our garbage at the bin to be collect separate from inside our home.
All diapers / Sanitary napins in 1 box
All plastics bottles are in 1 box
Glass bottle are stole back to a store.
Compost bin is at back out of sight.
Water from washing is re used to clean the exterior of the house. (Dont use to water garden soap is not health for plants).
There is a lot scrap metal place in jamaica and the garge collector will take the crap metal without problem.
I teach my family image you are a garbage collect would you like to know whats in the garbage and show can handle and dispose of it proper.
Garbage can be organized too. Everything has s place

1 Like

As a toddler mom, I use bottles and bottle covers to make toys and shakers when we go outside. We also have recycling bins in our house and Recycling Partners of Jamaica drop boxes close by which we carry our recycling to.

We also reuse water bottles to play with in the yard, Iā€™d make a hole in the top of the bottle and turn it into a water-squirter. Or we cut the bottles in half for my toddler to learn to scoop water. Reusing bottles is always fun and teaches great responsibility to my child :slight_smile:

1 Like

We have a few recycling practices that we follow in our home:

1. We use reusable shopping bags.
  2. We collect our glass and plastic bottles and take them to the RPJ on Rousseau Road and local wholesales.
  3. Instead of throwing away clothes, we try to pass them on to other families members and friends. if no luck then they go to the childrenā€™s homes.
  4. We a trying to start a new garden, so we use egg shells and fruit/vegetable waste(skins and seeds) to compost
1 Like